Wednesday, April 04, 2007

need to vent a bit...

ARGH. so yesterday at work was chaotic. we had about half of our 8 person crew missing so we were all a little stressed trying to backfill for everyone. at any given time someone was alone up front (a job for 2 people, minimum) because the other people who should be there either werent there yet (they close) or took lunch, or were doing other peoples jobs away from the front.

okay - so basically... it was chaos. which is almost normal, so... but anyway.

i pulled my boss aside to give her a heads up that i wouldnt be there on friday - or would at least miss half a day - for my 3 hour GTT. she seemed okay with it but kind of sighed and shook her head. whatever - i have to take it. then i told her that i was anticipating my last day of work to be either 5r/25 or 6/1 (both fridays) because i'll be around 37 weeks and i think i'll be more than ready to relax a bit.

well she spent the next 15 mins saying that the baby could come late and i wouldnt get paid for that time (which i know, and am budgeting for) and that she just didnt want me to go out too soon because she thinks i'll go crazy at home with nothing to do. "just siitng around at home will make you nuts, you're so active!"

okay... lets think aboutthis for a second. does she REALLY think that going to WORK will make me less crazy?? at 37 weeks?? its not a super stressfull job... generally... but it has its moments where im asked to do 4 things at once and when i ask what the priority is im told to "figure it out" - so i do what *I* think needs to get done then get yelled at, or, im sorry "talked to" about why this and that werent done. i mean, seriously. i dont need that.

ive been close to tears almost every day at work the past week just from hormones and stuff like that. so leaving on 5/25 (still 51 days away, yes im counting down) is sounding miiiighty fine. in fact, if i could start my leave today, i would. i just cant afford it LOL

so anyway. it just pissed me off last night that she made this whole long speech about how she's worried about me being bored at home and not getting paid and trying to make it sound like she was just worried about ME... when theres no way in hell she can look at what i do and what i have been doing the last few weeks (to cover for the slackers who call out all the time) and think for even one small nano second that THAT would be less crazy and less stressfull then sitting at home unpaid for 3 weeks.

and to top it all off i got a call at 8:00a this morning asking if i could come in early (i usually work 12-8p) because SOMEONE decided to call out AGAIN today and SOMEONE (*ahem* me) needs to cover their work. i told them i couldnt come in early today because i had plans... which i did. my plan was to sleep. which i did :) i mean, i nap every flippin morning. and two weeks ago i came in early every day to cover for the people who called out, without complaining.

oh AND!!! and!!! when i asked if i could off shift (come in early) on just mondays for 6 weeks so that i could go to my childbirth classes i was told "we'll have to see if that would work" pardon the f*** outta me?!?! you'll have to see if WHAT can work? how about this... how about i have to see if i can come in and cover your ass on 30 mins notice next time you call in a panic because everyone left you hanging. how about THAT??

argh. i just... i cant stand the thought of going to work today. blah.

5 comments:

singletracey said...

You are a worker like me.. I give and give and when I need I never get it back!

Good for you saying No today! And that lady is a ding dong... I imagine that at 37 weeks.. being home and waiting on Calebs arrival will be just what you want to do!

BTW.. venting always helps! Hope your feeling better :-) HUGS~

Kimmyann said...

I feel your pain. My boss called today and asked if I would start working a few hours each day from home while I was out on leave. My little one is 4 weeks old, has his days and nights mixed up and my boss wants me to put in some hours each morning..while the baby naps. Now I just have to figure out when I can nap.

Unknown said...

I completely understand how you feel! That is EXACTLY how I felt at my last job...and it isn't fun. I am sure once you are on maternity leave they will REALLY appreciate you.

I don't blame you for saying NO and I do think you should take that time off. Your health and the baby is much more important than any job. Just my 2 cents!

battynurse said...

I've had employers like that too. Sounds like she is more worried about herself if you go on maternity leave as she won't have someone to cover her a$$. Hang in there and do what you need to do. And vent away.

Lora said...

You go Girl!!!! Don't take no crap!!! :) You will be so glad that you DID take 3 weeks off early (in which case you might not even have the entire time for yourself if Caleb decides to make his arrival early!)...because once the baby comes, you can forget all about yourself...NO sleeping...NO napping...NO beauty treatments...NOTHING! So take that time for YOU and enjoy every second of it!!!

Lora